by Executive Chef Andres Moncayo
Dean & DeLuca Charlotte, NC
- 1½ lbs all natural chicken, cooked in water until it falls apart and shreds easily.
- Cool and shred with fork.
- 2 medium yellow onions, julienned
- 2 red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Dean & DeLuca DOP Chianti Classico Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Corn husks, soaked in water for about 10 minutes
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 lbs Masa Brosa or Maseca
- (instant corn masa)
- 5 Tbsp. cumin powder
- 1½ Tbsp. Dean & DeLuca Chipotle
- Bayou Spice Rub
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. Dean & DeLuca Paprika
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. Olo’s Chipotle Paste
- 4 cups water
- 2½ cups Dean & DeLuca Homestyle BBQ Sauce
- 2½ cups Dean & DeLuca DOP
- Chianti Classico Extra Virgin
- Olive Oil
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan under medium heat.
- Sauté onions and red bell pepper until softened and caramelized.
- Add pulled chicken and chopped cilantro. Mix together and set aside the chicken mix.
- In a stand mixer combine all the dry ingredients for the tamale dough. Mix on low
- speed for 1 minute.
- Add chipotle paste, water, BBQ sauce and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Mix on low for approximately 5 minutes, until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add fresh corn kernels.
To assemble the tamales: place a corn husk lengthwise in front of you with the wide side closest to you. Spread 4 oz. of the dough all over the bottom half (wide side) of the corn husk, leaving about a 1 inch wide border along the sides.
Put 2 oz. chicken filling lengthwise down the center of the dough and add .5 oz. Monterey jack cheese.
Pick up the two sides of the corn husk and join them. Fold both sides of the corn husk until they overlap over the tamale. Fold down the empty top section of the corn husk and secure it by tying a thin strip of corn husk around the tamal.
The best way to steam the tamales is by using a tall pot with a steamer insert. Fill pot with a couple inches of water and place steamer insert inside. Place the tamales (in the husks) on top of the steamer. Cook the tamales for about 60 minutes.
Serve with DEAN & DELUCA Green Chile & Corn Salsa.